Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Kitchen And A Dream

Chester installed the new kitchen faucet last night. We had a little fight right after dinner, so I suggested we both go to our separate corners and work on projects instead of watching TV together.

The Price Pfister faucet we bought is beautiful. It was a pain to install since we're dealing with such old pipes under the sink, but it was worth it.


I sat and stared at it for a few minutes last night. I'm trying to get inspired with ideas for redecorating the kitchen. My current idea is Wedgewood Blue. The faucet has a bit of a colonial edge to it, and something feminine and classic would complement the style lines, I think. Maybe red and lime green for some playful pop.

I'm also trying to decide if we should redo the floor in a vinyl or go all out for stone or tile. Right now, it's a linoleum with a large, vivid orange and brown floral motif. As we moved it, the linoleum started to peel up and crack in some places, so it wouldn't be out of the question to replace it. It seems a shame to me, but I'm kind of leaning towards vinyl. It's cheaper and easier to install. Maybe a faux-stone tile look.

For window treatments, I'm thinking lace. Very girly, I know.

As for the cabinets. Yikes. Right now they have solid fronts. The doors are painted a cream color while the cabinets are white. I hate it. Lots. The door handles are the original "clicky" ones that lock automatically. At first I thought they were cool, now I think they're a pain. There's one that is hard to unlock on the first try. So I'm thinking we'll lose them all and replace them with something simple and chrome. Maybe with a beautiful curve. The doors will need to be repainted of course. Ideally, I'd like to put skinny little frames on the doors, kind of like an inlay, to dress them up a bit. I don't know how much that material costs though.

What color for the doors? Depends on if I can do the inlay. If I can, I'll paint the outer portion a different color than the interior.

The counter tops might need to stay as is for a few years. Those seem expensive to replace. The backsplash right now is an awful, beige and brown floral panel that could just be painted over for now. I'd like to handpaint some tiles with the wedgewood blue color and put those up, but that might be a while.

So much fun to dream and imagine!