Friday, November 23, 2007

Resistance to Potty Training

Ben will be turning two in January. His friend Luke is potty trained, so I've been talking to Ben about how neat it would be to go pee-pee and poopies on the potty.

Sometimes he'll play with the accessories: the stool, the kiddy-sized potty ring. He'll climb up, sit for a second, give Mom a high five, and then climb back down. Repeat. Over and over again.

Then of course sometimes, he's just not interested.

The other day when I was changing his diaper, he jumped off the bed mid change. With Ben running around the house with no pants and no diaper on, I suggested he sit on the potty for a little bit. I went into the bathroom and sat on the edge of the tub, waiting.

Ben came running in, looked at me, and shouted, "NO!" He grabbed the potty ring forcefully off of the toilet and put in on the floor. He picked up the stool and put it as far away from the toilet as he could. Then he came back and slammed the toilet seat lid down, looked at me again, and said "No!" with as much authority as he could muster.

I guess he's not ready.