Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Overheard in the Mathis Manse

So you know that commercial where 4 spinster/librarian ladies are in an elevator and they break out in the hand-slapping fun that is the "Miss Mary Mack" rhyme chant? The tagline for the commercial is "Recess is back."

I squealed with delight when I saw them having so much fun reciting that rhyme, because it was one of my favorites as a little girl.

Me: "I would SO do that!"
Chris: "You HAVE done that."
Me: "That's true."
Chris to Nana: "She would do that in the middle of Walmart."
Me: "I'm not denying it."

So here you are, the lyrics. Enjoy my trip down memory lane.

Miss Mary Mack Mack Mack
All dressed in black, black, black
With silver buttons, buttons, buttons
All down her back, back, back.

She asked her mother, mother, mother
For 50 cents, cents, cents
To see the elephants, elephants, elephants
Jump over the fence, fence, fence.

They jumped so high, high, high
They reached the sky, sky, sky
And they didn't come back, back, back
'Til the 4th of July, ly, ly!