Thursday, May 08, 2008

Gerbera and Pinwheelin' Fool

As an "I'm sorry for being an ass" make-up present, my husband once brought me a small bouquet of white gerber daisies. I had the perfect vase for them -- a slim, square vase that perfectly accented the minimalist arrangement. It was one of the many times Chris got it "right."

So I was more than tickled when my mom brought me a pot of gerbera daisies this morning as a Mother's Day present. They were meant for planting outside, so I got right to it, finding them a nice home in the recently barren flower bed. I love them desperately.

Very soon, I'll be getting started on a new quilt for a bloggy friend of mine. That's right. I'm actually making a quilt for someone I'm not related to! I haven't even met her, actually, but she and I "clicked," and she's decided that I'm the perfect person to create a quilt for her son's bed. I'm honored and very thrilled to get started just as soon as her box of fabrics makes it to my doorstep.

Until then, I've been plugging away on a quilt for my niece Alisha. I'm experimenting with my first pinwheel blocks. By the end of today, I should have 11 done. I'm not sure if I'll make the whole quilt pinwheels; the original plans were to alternate with an album style block that is designed on the diagonal. I'm immensely proud of my pinwheels, though. They are so easy to whip up. I have an assembly line going in my kitchen with blocks in various stages of completion.

I thought it would be a nice photo idea to have Anna outside in front of my new daisies, covered in pinwheels. The grass stole the show.