Monday, December 01, 2008

Beginning to Look a Lot Like ...


We started decorating for Christmas yesterday. I put lighted garland inside the arch between the living room and dining room and hung beautiful glass ornaments from it (and only broke one in the process). Chris put up the Christmas tree, including the lights.

While reading FamilyFun magazine, I was enamored with their Sparkling Ice Crystals. They looked so beautiful and so simple to make. This morning, I bought the supplies, and Ben and I got to work.

You see, in my head I had a vision of a winter wonderland in my living room.

A back story. When I was in college, I had an awesome apartment, featuring an awesome living room. I covered the ceiling with gnarled grape vines. It felt like a winery arbor. Gorgeous. When I was going through my butterfly phase, I hotglued thread to little butterflies made of feathers. I tied the thread to the grape vine. The result was a butterfly garden effect. It felt like butterflies were flying around in the room. Beautiful.

Why not hang the ice crystals in a similar fashion? That's what I did. Well, that's what Chris and I did. We'll add more when we get more supplies. I think it's magical.

You may also notice from the pictures that I'm in the process of painting my living room. Yeah. It's taking forever, but it's so hard to find time to paint when the kids are gone or distracted.