Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I've Never Liked Rollercoasters

So my Fertility Friend chart is convinced that I ovulated last Friday. Hmmm. I'm not so sure, but I haven't been very good at the ovulation test strips. They say to use them during the day, but only when you haven't had anything to drink for two hours. Seriously. I'm drinking water all day. It's not healthy otherwise. I get thirsty after thirty minutes.

Today, I've been on an emotional rollercoaster. I was crying before lunch time. Really. It's disgusting. It was work stuff. I was really frustrated with someone, and I had to take a twenty minute walk to calm down. It's all over stuff that has happened before. So Chester and I went to a diner for lunch, and I gorged myself on Eggs Benedict (sauce on the side, eggs scrambled). Felt better.

Monday morning, I woke up at five with the urge to use the bathroom, but being a dutiful TTC person, I stuck a thermometer in my mouth to get my basal body temperature. I didn't make it to the bathroom in time. Thus starts my awful day of having the stomach flu. Thirty minutes before Chester was going to leave and take Ben to school, Ben threw up all over our recliner and hardwood floors. Again. So we all stayed home. I needed to sleep, so Chester stayed home to care for the Benz. Five beautiful hours of sleep.

Since Ben had a third hearing test Tuesday around noon, I had already requested Tuesday afternoon off as vacation time. So after he passed his test (finally), I had the afternoon to myself. I relaxed in bed with a chunk of Hersheys with Almonds and US Weekly. Eventually, I napped.

No wonder today sucked. Even having my butt explode all day on Monday was better than being here. This back-to-work angst should end soon, I hope. The only thing making life tolerable today: Listening to Damien Rice's "9" album on my cd player. Even if I'm only allowed one ear bud, it's still nice to listen to ultra depressing, ultra emotional music while I'm furiously proofreading. Favorite lines: "Waking up without you is like drinking from an empty cup." and "Does he drive you wild, or just mildly free?"

Ben is feeling better, although he's not quite back to normal. Still not eating that much, and he's very, very whiny and irritable.

Cute Ben Thing:

Last night, I picked up my shirt off the floor and walked into the bathroom. I put it down the laundry chute and went about other business. Ben came in shortly after me, carrying his own shirt from the daytime. He stood at the laundry chute, trying to reach the knob to open the door.

I started crying and laughing, it was so cute. I called Chester into the room, and helped Ben open the door. He stretched up on his tippy-toes to put his shirt down the chute... and wasn't quite tall enough to push it all the way in. We helped with that too.

We hadn't gotten around to teaching him that yet, but he learned it on his own.

Remodeling Update:

I decided that instead of trying to hang pictures in Ben's room, since the ceiling slants so much, I'm going to paint and write poems on his walls. Shel Silverstein's "Picture Puzzle Piece," William Wordsworth's "Daffodils," Carl Sandburg's "Fog," Robert Frost's "Dust of Snow," and Walt Whitman's "A Noiseless, Patient Spider."

In my last apartment in Stevens Point, I had written out passages from my favorite books and some of my favorite poems all over my living room walls. It was a wonderful room to sit in. Felt like I was being embraced by long-loved words. I think it'll be interesting to see how Ben and his new sibling react over the years to living in a space like that. By choosing poems a little deeper than nursery rhymes, I hope that they'll learn to appreciate classic literature and the magic of vocabulary.