Saturday, October 21, 2006

Ode to Painting

I think I actually got a lot accomplished today. This morning, Ben woke up around 5. He didn't play that long before he got hungry, so I fed him a bottle and he went back to sleep. I started taping off the bathroom.

I love the taping process. As an anal-retentive proofreader, I really love perfection. Straight lines, perfect edges. Spending extra time making sure the taping is just right, means that I'll be happier with the final product. When we painted Ben's room while he was still in utero, I let Chester do a lot of the taping. We both realized that was a mistake, and even with the tape, he still managed to paint the ceiling. By the end of the project, he was guarding me while I stood on a chair to paint the top edges. I think I was 7-months pregnant at the time.

So. Our bathroom. The tub area has a textured vinyl paneling, so we won't be painting that. The rest of the walls are paneled as well, but with a flat surface. The hardest part of painting is the corners. Because it's paneling, there's a seam in the corner that bridges the two planes. I had to carefully tape one edge of the bridge.

We've painted two coats already of the Ponytail color. We'll probably do one more coat and then call it good. The previous paint finish is this awful faux, sponge, drip paint finish. I know the people used plastic bags, because the finished result is very bumpy, and there are paint drips everywhere. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like when the solid color is done. Very textural. It probably won't quite look intentional, but oh well.

Tomorrow we'll see how dry the Ponytail is. If it's dry enough, I'll tape it off again so we can put up the blue paint. That'll really be exciting. It's a very dark, intense, deep color.

Technorati Tags:
,