Thursday, December 07, 2006

Nice Cozy People

I think one of the reasons I've been so stressed about this whole loan settlement, mortgage thing is that I wasn't happy with the guy at the credit union. He approved me for the loan, finally, but always seemed to be a real jerk. The last straw? I sent him a long, one-page email asking him questions, stating concerns and comments, explaining things. He replied six hours later with a two sentence response. No salutation, no "hope to hear from you."

I prefer working with cozy people. Someone I could sit down and have a cup of coffee with while I confide the dirty details of my financial situation. This jerk definitely wasn't it. He only emphasized the limitations, the negatives. "The only thing we can do for you is..."

Last night, when we went to my bank to have Chester signed onto my bank account, we got to talking with Tammy, the personal banker who was helping us. She seemed chatty, so I asked her some general questions about loans and financing and credit reports. I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting screwed over where it wasn't called for. She was very helpful and kind. Then I mentioned that I had just applied online for a loan through her bank before I came over. "You could just go through me." "Could you do anything for me?" "Of course..." and then we went over some of the details. Turns out she can give me a longer-term loan for a much lower interest rate, which is exactly what I wanted.

I was in tears by the end of the session. I felt such relief. Now I just wait to see if the online application is going to get me a callback today. If not, I'll be calling her tomorrow to set up a meeting to reapply.

It's nice because she's met Ben (and likes his hair) and Chester. She knows what we're doing to cut our budget down. She knows that we're trying to establish ourselves on solid ground. And she respects that. God I love that in a loan officer.

Along similar lines, the super-duper nice lady who is helping us with a mortgage has a realtor to recommend to us. It's a guy. That startled me. She says he's terrific to work with, and I hope he is. I guess I was just expecting a nice lady to help us with that part as well. I'm trying not to be prejudice.