Monday, March 03, 2008

How Bath Time Ended


Friday after lunch, I suggested a bath to Ben, and he raced into the bathroom and starting stripping off his clothes. He gathered a collection of cars to take in with him, and I put a couple inches of water in the tub. I was going to multi-task and bathe Anna at the same time (it had been a week for both of them. yikes.)

For the soaping up part, I had Anna in a baby bath tub in the big bath tub. To rinse, I put her in the big tub and splashed water over her body and hair. Pretty normal, right?

I noticed that the water only came up to her ears, so I left her on her back and let her splash. Wow... did they have a great time in there together!!

Anna was kicking and flailing and giggling, scooting around the bathtub, rebounding off of her brother, who was squealing with delight and ecstasy over having a bath buddy. I tried to keep my eyes open through the splashing so I could keep an eagle eye on Anna in case she turned her face into the water and needed mommy's quick hands to rescue her.

It was nerve-wracking for me, but oh so much fun to watch, and Anna was fine and safe, and everyone was having a good time.

Ben started splashing her back, and I watched for signs of distress closely. The frenzy continued until out of the corner of my eye, I saw Ben loom closer to Anna.

He unceremoniously dumped a bucket of water over her face.

I pulled her out of the water quickly before she had time to inhale, and she sputtered a little and blinked hard, but she didn't cry. That was how bath time ended suddenly for Anna. I was caught, as I so often am with these two, between a wince and a guffaw.