Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Niceness and Pre-Op


The “Nice Matters Award” is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world.”

RC of Hill Smith Family Update honored me yesterday with the "Nice Matters Award." I'm so friggin' tickled by this.

This is what she said about me on her blog:

MamaCheryl likes to say nice things about me on her blog, and she is so inspiring. She has lost 40 pounds since January! How awesome is that?!?!?!? On top of it, she shares her life very openly and honestly. Did I mention she is making some beautiful quilts, now, too?

I'm a huge fan of RC. As a matter of fact, this last weekend was kind of tortuous for me because she was in my neighborhood for some classes. I was busy, and she was booked, but I was so tempted to run down there and stalk her. I've never actually met a bloggy friend in person yet. I feel a little insecure about it, just like Liz.

Anyway. I love getting this award. I've seen others receive it in the past, and I always kind of chuckled to myself that there's no way I'll ever get it. I'm too sarcastic, too bitter, too weird. Nice? Is that really a word to describe me? Sure, I aspire to kindness, but sometimes I feel like I get tripped up on my odd sensibilities.

When I tell my husband that I was twittering with RC or commenting on her blog, he always asks me, "Now which one is she?" I respond with, "She's the one who has a similar work background as me, a similar personality, and a son named Little Dude and a cat named Supercat." He responds, "Oh. The one you want to live next door." "Yep. That's her."

I'll have to think for a while on who I will present a Nice Matters Award to.

*******
So to give you all a heads up on what will be going down for the next couple of days. I have my icky surgery tomorrow, and I'll be in the hospital overnight. I might twitter from the hospital, but I might not have a chance to blog. We'll have to see. I could have my laptop in the birth center, but I'll be in a different area of the hospital now, and they might have different rules.

Tonight, I will have the oh-so-pleasant task of the bowel prep, which is basically a really intense colon cleanse. Yes. It should be amazing. I won't be twittering about it. I may "share my life openly and honestly" but there has to be a line in the sand, some mystery, some sense of *ahem* dignity. I will probably lose another couple of pounds in just a couple of hours. Miracle.

My mom arrived early afternoon, and she'll be staying until Friday. It'll be kind of insane for the next couple weeks since I'll have to have a babysitter here.

I'm going to miss my children a lot while I'm in the hospital. I'm so worried about Anna and how she'll cope without me. With how traumatic it was for her when Chris and I went on a date Sunday afternoon, I shudder at the thought of leaving her for a whole overnight. I'm hoping I'll be in an area where she can come visit me in my room. Any pumping sessions I can skip would be nice. And Ben? I'm not so worried about him. He'll have a great time without me (otherwise known as the Big Wet Blanket) to keep him out of mischief.

I look forward to catching up with everybody after my surgery. I wonder how much fun it'll be to blog while I'm on major painkillers. Hmmmm.

Things I'm trying not to think about: The indignity of what my body will be going through during the surgery. The Pain. The butt-pleasing diet I'll have to be on after surgery. Anna crying because she wants her mama. Oh. And the small matter of the miniscule chance I won't make it through surgery. I've never been under general anesthesia before, and I'm terrified. But those are all things I'm. Not. Thinking. About.