Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Halloween

I'm not a huge fan of Halloween. I blame this mostly on my childhood. My dear mother is a very religious woman, and I was never allowed to "celebrate" the devil's holiday. Instead, I dressed up as a character from the Bible and went to a "Hallelujah Party" and church. I think I went trick-or-treating once when I was four. When we lived in town, we'd have a bowl of candy for trick-or-treaters, but we never decorated.

So it basically comes down to this: so much refined sugar is bad for you, the music really sucks (if our local station plays "Thriller" one more time, I think I shall scream), and I find adults wearing costumes really sad and cheesy.

I keep my feelings to myself though. I don't talk about my opinions to my coworkers because I don't want to ostracize myself or make them feel stupid or bad. But hell. This is my blog and I can say any damn thing I want.

Halloween sucks. I've never been one for scary movies: I passed out during the Matrix for goodness sakes. Because I was never desensitized to the gratuitous violence and gore as a child, I'm ultra-sensitive to it now, and it turns me off. Even the really stupid, cheesy ones seem trite and revolting to me.

Chester, around whom I do not censor my feelings that often, commented that I hate all holidays. I think this comment was made after a short diatribe from yours truly about Thriller (no, I think it was the newscaster giving the weather report in a vampire voice). I defended myself, saying I love Christmas carols. Which is true. However, I can't deny the fact that when it comes to holidays and the acknowledgment thereof, I'm a bit of a featherweight.

I suppose, in the future, when Ben is walking and finding delight in holidays, when he's old enough to know that his classmates have Halloween rituals, I will break down and really do up the holiday. For his sake. Hell. I may even get a Christmas tree to put up in December.

Technorati Tag: