Friday, October 20, 2006

Odd Thomas, audiobooks

Today didn't start out well. Chester and I started arguing because I was crying about something that happened to a favorite book character of mine, and I wouldn't let him comfort me.

I'm listening to Forever Odd, by Dean Koontz. Odd Thomas, his first Odd book, is one of my favorites. I was so thrilled to learn that he started a series of Odd books. But now, about fifteen minutes from the end of the book, it sounds like Odd died. And I didn't have time to finish the narrative, so I'm left thinking that Odd is really dead afterall. I was bawling my eyes out. Dean Koontz books do that to me a lot. This is killing me.

I went online, looking for spoilers, so I can get through the day. As far as I can tell, Odd doesn't actually die. That makes me happy, but now I'm dying to get home and find out how Koontz manages to break the spell in letting the reader (or in my case -- listener) think that Odd died. In the third book in the Odd series (Brother Odd, which hasn't been released yet), Odd goes on a retreat to a mountain monastery. So that means he's okay. I treasure this character so much, the thought of him dying really upsets me.

I usually have at least two books going. One on paper, and one in audiobook form. I like to listen to audiobooks while I'm washing dishes or making dinner.

Technorati Tags:
, ,