Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Blessings of Nana

On Sunday afternoon just before two, Ben, Chester and I braved the Wisconsin November and ran some errands. First on the list was a haircut for Ben, then shopping for nice shirts to wear for our Christmas pictures.

I found the most flattering shirt I have ever had on my body. It took a lot of willpower not to buy more than one.

When we got home, we were talking about breaking down and ordering Applebees so we could have a nice steak dinner. I went to call from Chester's phone, and we realized it was dead (no battery charge). I went into the kitchen to find something for Ben's dinner, and when I opened up the fridge, I found two uncooked steaks, a bag of romaine lettuce, a box of butter, and a jug of my favorite orange juice. On the counter was a bag of red juicy grapes and four baking potatoes.

I yelled for Chris to call Nana, because it could only be my mother who would do such a thing. (And, really, she's the only other person with a key to our apartment).

Turns out that Nana had been trying to get in touch with us all day, but because our phone was dead, she was leaving messages that we didn't know we had. She figured she'd take the chance and drove an hour and fifteen minutes on the chance that we'd be home. She arrived at two in the afternoon, just minutes after we left. Just missed us.

It was sad that we didn't get to see her, but we did enjoy the dinner very much. After a week of living in our own personal Beanery, it was nice to have a normal meal that cost more than two bucks a person.

My mother is such a blessing. I hope she comes down again soon so she can see the Benjamin. Maybe we'll even know she's coming ahead of time so we can vacuum. :)