Friday, April 11, 2008

Pensieve's Poetic License: Haiku

Mid-month Every Month at PENSIEVE
Want this button?


Would you believe I've never written a haiku before? In my youth, I wrote hundreds, maybe thousands of lines of poetry, but I never tried to constrain a beautiful thought into the rigid form of haiku. 3 lines. 17 syllables. 5/7/5.

Pensieve's poetic license this month is to write at least one haiku about spring. I'm giving it my best shot.


Brown ground waits for warmth,
Dreams, plans, lists, seeds, and bare knees.
Sun sweeten this home!



One more layer of snow,
One more white icy blanket,

One more sigh for spring.



Open your windows.
Open your lungs to new air.

Exhale the stagnant winter.


This fresh new vigor
Yellow heat round and spinning
Wooed the dense gray dawn



Check out the rest of the haiku kicked into existence by Pensieve just like these, write your own and link up your haiku post today!