Saturday, May 10, 2008

Two Memes on a Saturday Morning

Thanks to Momma Val for tagging me for this meme. After reading hers, I feel a little like I'm cheating. You see, her middle name is Francine. That's eight letters. Mine is Lynn. Only four.

The Rules

1. Post the rules before you give your answers.

2. List one fact about yourself beginning with each letter of your middle name. If you don't have a middle name, use your maiden name or your mother's maiden name.

3. At the end of your blog post, tag one person (or blogger of another species) for each letter of your middle name. Be sure to leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged. (Yeah. I'm not doing that.)

My middle name is LYNN.

Learning. I'm a big fan of learning. I can't really remember a time I wasn't a fan, so I'm guessing it's a lifelong thing. As early as my third grade year, I remember my dad stumping me with logic problems. A lot of my memories from childhood revolve around special projects I did in school. A study on irrigation systems and Iowa in 3rd grade. Wallabies in 4th grade. Clara Barton in 7th. As an adult, I'm a big ol' History Channel geek, though we don't actually have that channel anymore since we downsized our cable package. When we go on vacation to someone's house with cable, we inevitably watch hours of Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

Yellow. I once gave a classmate a yellow shirt for her birthday. Her name was Kelly. The birthday party was in the afternoon, and we all spent the night. Fun times. She didn't really like the shirt, so she didn't remember that she had received it as a gift. She picked it up and asked if it belonged to someone else and therefore should be put back in someone's overnight bag. I was so embarrassed, I claimed it and took it back home. I never wore it. I don't look good in yellow, and the shirt was kind of ugly.

Noon. During my kindergarten year, the school day ended for me at noon. My mom would bring me home, and I would sprawl in front of the TV and wait for my quasi-picnic lunch to be served. Split pea soup with a side of buttered bread. I'd enjoy this feast while watching Mister Rogers. I'm assuming I didn't eat pea soup every day, but that's the only thing I remember eating.

Nit-picky. I don't know when it started. God knows I wasn't a tidy child. I don't remember a lot of OCD-type quirks. Maybe I first became nit-picky when I was in the 7th or 8th grade, and I practiced my handwriting. If I wasn't pleased with the way my letters looked when I was writing a letter to a penpal, I'd start over with a fresh sheet of paper. I would fill out pages and pages of notebook paper perfecting and inventing the ideal capital I. Having things be "right" and "clean-looking" was important... is still important. I guess that's why I made a good proofreader. Fixing mistakes was important to me, and I was very ashamed if I missed a glaring error and it went to print that way. My ears start burning just thinking about it.

And now there's a meme that my new friend k8spade from Rockin the Suburbs tagged me for. It's the six random things meme. I did a seven random things meme at the beginning of March. For this one, I'll change up the rules a bit. Here's six random awesome Ben and Anna things.

1. Ben can say the "r" in "car" now. Every time. It's fabulous.
2. Anna has been sleeping well for the last two nights. Only 2 wake-ups each night.
3. Ben loves Jello so much, he tries to scrape every last bit of it out of the bowl. I'll have to teach him the fine art of licking the bowl.
4. Anna loves to swing at the park so much. KS says she looks like a big grin with limbs, since her little body is completely hidden behind the toddler swing supports.
5. Last night, I distracted Ben from staying out of the bathroom by telling him that it was time to get his jammies on. He climbed up on the chair next to his dresser, pulled out a pair of jammies, and brought them to me. I was flabbergasted that A. He was able to get them on his own, and B. That he didn't throw a tantrum against the idea of jammies.
6. I'm so glad that I have short hair because Anna has the typical baby fascination with pulling and sucking on hair. She still manages to grab a hold of my short mop. It takes forever to untangle my tresses from her ninja grip.

The End.